Monday, October 20, 2014

Welcome, Baby Ethan!

Welcome to the world, Ethan Emory!

Shawn and I always knew that we wanted at least two children.  When Maddie was eighteen months old we moved from Florida to Alabama and I quit teaching to become a stay at home mom.  All of this was a lot of change and we were happy with our family of three.  As Maddie approached age two and as we got comfortable with our new situation, we knew that it was time to expand our family.  On my 31st birthday I found out that we would be expecting another baby in early November.  Maddie entered the world six days before her due date, so I wasn't really expecting to have a baby born in November, but I never imagined I would have a baby on October 20th!  Maddie goes to playschool on Monday, so I had her lunch packed and planned to do some grocery shopping and cleaning around the house that day.  On Monday morning I woke up and rolled over in bed when I felt something strange.  I rushed up and went to the bathroom and realized that my water had broken!  I wasn't totally sure, so I took a shower and started to get ready.  Finally, I told Shawn that I thought I was in labor and I called the doctor.  They asked us to come to the office and confirm instead of going straight to labor and delivery (which is the floor below the office).  Shawn called his mom who packed her things and got on the road and I called a friend to take Maddie to school and Aunt Jenn to pick her up from school.  We continued to get ready as usual, pack our bags, and get Maddie fed and dressed.  I didn't have any contractions at home, but I was pretty sure that I was in labor.  We got to the office around 9:45am and my doctor confirmed that my water had ruptured.  She told me that I was already 4cm dilated and she stripped my membranes to start some contractions.  The nurse got me a wheel chair and took us down to labor and delivery and my doctor said she would be down shortly and that this baby would be here quickly.  She asked me to wait for an epidural until the contractions were painful and that was my plan anyway. We got down to labor and delivery and got a room.  Everyone was very nice and very laid back.  They set me up with monitors and pitocin to start my contractions.  I was so anxious that I decided to just walk around the room.  The contractions were regular, but not too painful so I just hung out and talked with the nurse as she got us admitted and had us signing paperwork.  Shawn hadn't eaten breakfast, so he got some breakfast and a drink before things really got busy!  They started pitocin after 11am and things really moved fast.  The doctor came in twice to check me...once I was 5cm and the second time I was already 9cm.  It wasn't until I was 9cm that I told the nurse it was too painful and I wasn't sure I could keep going, but everyone had already started to come into the room with the baby warmer/delivery things and they were telling me to just hang on and push through.  We took a birthing class before Maddie was born, but I didn't remember anything from 3 years ago!  Shawn and I did zero preparation for natural childbirth and totally just went with the flow! Shawn was very helpful and held my hand through it all.  My doctor got there quickly and she was great.  I was so exhausted, but everyone helped me through and only two and a half hours after they got me started on pitocin Ethan was born!  It was the most exhausting, painful, and rewarding thing I have ever done!

The rooms at St. Vincent's hospital are for labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum.  It was very nice to stay in the same room the entire time.  Ethan was able to stay with us the entire time from delivery on.  I was able to hold him right away and do skin to skin.  At 2:30pm I was able to feed him for the first time and he latched right on and actually ate a little food!  This was a totally different experience than with Maddie and it was great!  Shawn knew all I wanted was food, so like a good husband he went right away to get me some chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese...best husband ever!  Sheila got there right after Ethan was born and she stayed for a bit before heading out to be with Maddie at our house.  It was nice to have time to rest with just Shawn and the baby.  I was able to read wonderful text messages from our friends and got a sweet phone call from my friend, Kelly.  Later that night, Jenn and Brett came by to visit with us.  The next day, Granny and Papa came by with Maddie.  She was so excited to meet her baby brother!


Right after Ethan was born!

Our brand new son

6lbs 3oz

Skin to skin

He has hair

First bath


Aunt Jenn came to visit

Aunt Jenn and Uncle Brett

Our family of 4

Maddie and her new baby brother





On Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 we welcomed Kai Christopher Hart!  

Wearing Catherine's ducky pjs


Heading home


Here we go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment